» Summer holidays in Spain - Tips & travel advices
If you travel in Catalonia and you want something else after you enjoyed the agitation of Barcelona the rural area is what you need. There wonderful landscape of the four districts and state Andora together with the cultural offer and the historical sights will be a great reward for the ones that book holidays in the area.
On your travel list if go in the area you can include at least the following landmarks:
• Sitges - the city is situated near the sea and has 9 beaches. On the main avenue Passeig Maritim, we find bars; restaurants and some buildings that are examples of modernist architecture. Santiago Rusinol lived in this city and left here all its collection of sculptures, paintings and wrought iron items exhibited in Museu Cau Ferrat. The museum is situated near the principal monument from Sitges, Sant Bartomeu i Santa Tecla church.
• Costa Daurada - the long sandy beaches of Costa Daurada are situated parallel to the shore of Tarragona district. One of the active ports is El Vendrell. Museu Pau Casals from San Salvador is dedicated to the famous artist. The main attraction here is Port Aventura, south of Tarragona, one of the largest theme parks from Europe with many attractions and exotic themes. To the south we find Cambrils and Salou, 2 of the most crowded resorts.
• Tarragona – it’s an important port but also hosts many ruins from the past. Rambla Nova Avenue ends suddenly in Balco de Europa from where you can have a great view of old Amfiteatre Roma and church Santa Maria del Miracle. Close to it, we find Praetorium, a roman tower turned into palace in the medieval times. Nowadays it is Museu de la Romanitat and has an exhibit of findings from the medieval and roman era with dark galleries of the roman circus built in the first century and discovered due to the excavations. Near praetorium there is Museu Nacional Arqueologic where is kept the most important collection of roman items from Catalonia.
• Tortosa - situated in the lowest side of river Ebre, the main attraction here is La Suda Castle, rebuilt. Nowadays it is a hotel.
• Delta de L'Ebre - is a rice culture area a natural paradise stretching on 70 km. The area was declared Natural reservation under the name - Parc Natura del Delta de L'Ebre. Here we can find an Eco museum and aquarium displaying many species from the delta. The main cities in the area are Amposta and Sant Carles de la Rapita, both ideal starting points for visiting the reservation.
The best places to see flora and fauna are along the shore from Punta del Fangar in the north to Punta de la Banya in the south. The only place that is not accessible with car is Illa de Buda. On this island live flamingo birds together with other nice species that can be seen from the boats leaving from Riumar and Deltebre.
There are also other interesting places to visit: Cardona; Solsona, Lleida, Monestir de Poblet Montblanc; Santes Creus; Vilafranca del Penedes.